In 1775, the city of Paris granted
number 10, Place Louis XV (to be renamed Place de la Concorde in 1792)
to the architectec Louis François Trouard, who decided to build
on the site with the advice of the Duke d'Aumont, a patron of the
The mansion was acquired in 1788 by the Count of Crillon François-Félix-Dorothee Berton des Balbes and his spouse, Marie-Charlotte de Corbon. Descendent of the "brave Crillon", comrade-in-arms of King Henry IV, and himself a brilliant soldier, he thus acquired the building and bestowed his name upon it. Seized during the French Revolution, the palace was returned to its legitimate owners - the Crillon family - who kept it until 1907.
In 1907, the Société des Grands Magasins et des Hotels du Louvre took possession of the Crillon Mansion as well as the two buildings adjacent to it on Rue Boissy-d'Anglas, in order to create the largest and most luxurious palace in Paris. The architect Destailleurs was asked to undertake the transformation of the structures with a view toward this intended purpose, all the while maintaining the landmark's richness of decoration inherited from its previous owners.
Destailleurs succeeded himself admirably
in this delicate mission, giving the new hotel a level of comfort
and luxury deserving of its worldwide reputation.
The palace has become the choice residence
of famous world leaders, whether political or artistic. The Hotel
de Crillon thusly occupies a privileged place in contemporary history.